Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Subject is Prints. The Category is Buried.

Have you ever buried something and wished it would come back? Wished it wouldn't come back ever ever ever? Wished you knew what happened to it afterwards? When I was younger, I had pet hamsters. Anyone who has had hamsters will know that their life span is about 2 years or so. Inevitably, you have to bury them in the back yard, or the park, or the big flower box. I used to wonder what happened to the buried hamsters. Obviously, I knew they decomposed and left behind little hamster skeletons. This may sound morbid, but I used to picture the little hamster skeletons tunneling towards each other and creating a new little underground hamster skeleton world. I just wanted them to have a peaceful, wonderful afterlife and not be lonely in all that dirt.
Lately, I've had a hard time using photography to express my ideas. Fortunately, printmaking has stepped up to fill the void. This series is about things that are buried, literally and metaphorically, and what their world is like underground.

-Amanda-



No comments:

Post a Comment